- Sundaikai – 1 cup
- Green Gram Dhal – 1/4 cup
- Sambar Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Onion chopped – 1 tablespoon (Optional)
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Remove the small top stem and cut the sundaikai into two. Or remove the top and using a wooden roller you can crush the sundaikai. Put it in water.
- Cook green gram dhal along with a pinch of turmeric powder till soft.
- Take out the sundaikai from water and put it in a vessel. Add just enough water to cover the vegetable. Add sambar powder, a pinch of turmeric powder and salt. Cook it on medium heat. When the vegetable is soft, add the cooked dhal and mix well. Allow to boil.
- Season it with mustard, asafotida, onion and curry leaves.