Suraikai Mor KootuCourse: KootuCuisine: Tamil, IndianDifficulty: Easy
A great side dish for rice served during lunch and dinner
Suraikai (Bottle gourd) – a small one
Curd – 1 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut gratings – 2 tablespoons
Green chilllies – 2 Nos
Jeeragam (Cumin) – 1 teaspoon
- For seasoning
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon
Red Chillies – 2
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Fenugreek (Vendayam) – few grains
Curry leaves – few
Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Remove the skin, inner white portion and seeds from the bottle gourd. Cut it into small cubes.
- Grind coconut, green chillies and jeeram (cumin) to a fine paste.
- Beat the curd well and keep is aside.
- In a thick bottomed vessel put the suraikai pieces. Add turmeric powder, salt and sufficient water just to cover the vegetable. Cook till the vegetable is soft.
- Add the coconut paste and stir well. Allow to boil for few seconds.
- Reduce the heat to low flame and add the beaten curd. Stir well and remove. (Do not boil or keep it in the stove for long).
- In a small kadai, put the oil and when it is hot add mustard seeds. When it pops up, add asafoetida powder, red chillies, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Just give a stir and pour this seasoning over the kootu. Mix well.
- Serve with hot rice or an accomplishment to any Rice dishes.