- Thuvar Dal – 1/2 cup
- Red Chillies – 3 to 4
- Garlic Flakes (small size) – 10 to 12 Nos
- Big Onion (Medium size) – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 4 to 5
- Salt – 3/4 teaspoon or as per taste
- Chop Onion and Tomatos finely.
- In a pressure cooker, put a teaspoon of oil and add thuvar dal and fry for few seconds. Add red chillies and garlic flakes and fry for few more seconds. Add chopped onion and fry for two to three seconds and then add chopped tomatos and fry it also for few more seconds. Add two to two and half cups of water. Add turmeric powder. Stir well and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles or till the dal is cooked well.
- Remove the lid and mash it well.
- In a small kadai put a teaspoon of oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it starts crackling add fewnugreek and pour this seasoning over the mashed dal.
- Serve with hot rice accompanied by papad/appalam or any pickle.