- Cabbage – one small size or one medium size cut piece
- Bengal Gram Dhal – 2 tablespoons
- Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon
- Onion – 1 medium size
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3 depending on the size
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon or as per taste
- Cut the cabbage into fine bits.
- Chop the onion, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Cook the bengal gram dhal along with a pinch of turmeric powder till soft and drain the excess water.
- In a kadai pour the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When the mustard pops up, add urad dhal and fry till it turns light brown.
- Then add chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves and fry for two minutes.
- Add cabbage and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on low flame. No need to add water. Stir now and then till it is cooked.
- Now add the cooked dhal along with salt and stir for few seconds.
- Add coconut gratings and mix well.
Instead of Bengal Gram Dhal, we can use Green Gram Dhal (Payatham Paruppu) also. If you cook cabbage in large quantity (for party etc), then before seasoning, just cook in boiling water along with little salt for three to five minutes and discard the water. Season it as above. This type of cooking will give soft poriyal.