Potato Masala FryCourse: Poriyal, SidesCuisine: Tamil, IndianDifficulty: Easy
This potato fry will stay good for longer time and ideal for lunch box and travel. This goes well with chapati, toasted bread, lemon rice and coconut rice.
Potato (Medium size) – 4
Big onion (Medium size) – 1
Tomato (Medium size) – 1
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Oil – 2 to 3 tablespoons
Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – few
Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- To Fry and Powder
Red Chillies – 3 Nos
Coriander Seeds – 1 tablespoon
Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Jeeragam (Cumin) – 1 teaspoon
Aniseeds (Sombu) – 1 teaspoon
- Wash and pressure cook the potatoes till soft. Remove the skin from the cooked potatoes and cut it into bite size cubes.
- Cut onion and tomatoes into medium size pieces.
- In a kadai put a teaspoon of oil and fry coriander seeds, black pepper, cumin, aniseeds and red chillies. Allow to cool and powder it.
- In the kadai add another teaspoon of oil and fry the onion pieces till it become glossy. Remove it. Same kadai add one more teaspoon of oil and add tomato pieces and fry for few seconds. Put both fried onion and tomato in a mixie and grind it to a paste.
- In a wok (thick bottomed kadai), add the remaining oil and when it is hot add mustard seeds. When it pops up add curry leaves. Then add the onion/tomato paste along with turmeric powder and salt. Fry for few more seconds. Then add the potato pieces and mix it well.
- Allow to cook on medium flame till the potato and the onion/tomato paste blends well and dry.
- Finally add the powder and mix it well. If it looks too dry, then you can add a teaspoon of oil and stir well and remove.