- Tamarind – Big gooseberry size
- Thuvar dhal – ½ cup
- Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chillies – 2
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1 (fully riped)
- Coriander leaves – few
- Asafotida powder – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Veppam Poo (Neem Flower) – 1 teaspoon
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Fry veppam poo in a teaspoon of ghee and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind and salt in water and squeeze out the juice completely by adding enough water. Cook thuvar dhal till soft and mash it well. Grind pepper, jeera, red chillies and coriander seeds coarsely. In a thick bottomed vessel put the mashed dhal, tamarind water, pepper jeera powder, turmeric powder. Mix well and add water to make it thin. Chop the tomatos and add to it. Bring to boil. When it starts boiling add fried veppam poo, coriander leaves and remove from flame. Add half cup cold water so that it will not overcook.
- Season it with mustard, asafotida powder.