- Raw Rice – 1 and ½ cups
- Green Gram Dhal – ½ cup
- Big Onion – 1
- Red Chillies – 4 Nos
- Asafotida – a pinch
- Coconut gratings – ½ cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 4 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Chop the onion finely. Cut the red chillies into medium pieces.
- Fry the rice and dhal separately in a kadai without any oil, till they turn light brown in colour as shown in the above picture.
- In a pressure cooker, add the oil and when it is hot, put the mustard seeds. When it pops up, add asafetida along with red chillies. Then add onion and curry leaves. Fry till the onions are transparent. Add coconut and fry for a second. Add the fried rice and dhal and mix well. Add four cups water along with salt. Cover with lid and put weight. Pressure cook for two whistles.
- This can be taken as it is and no side dish is required. If you want you can have it along with any pickle or Onion Thuvaiyal.
- Note: You can also make this sundal by using parboiled rice and thuvar dhal.