- Cooked Rice – 1 medium size bowl
- Half cooked mixed vegetable – 1 cup (Carrot, Green Peas and Beans)
- Capsicum cut into small pieces – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 No chopped finely
- Green chilli – 4 Nos chopped finely
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Oil – 4 or 5 teaspoons
- Mustard – Half teaspoon
- Cinnamon Stick – a small piece
- Cloves – 2
- Cashew nut – 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add cinnamon stick, cloves and mustard. When it pops up, add Bengal gram dhal and fry till it turns light brown.
- Add cashew nuts, chillies and curry leaves and fry for a while.
- Then add onion and fry till it become transparent.
- Now add capsicum pieces and fry for two/three minutes on low flame.
- Add cooked vegetables, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Add cooked rice to this and mix gently.
This recipe can be prepared left over rice also. Vegetables can be cooked in microwave. Cut the vegetables into small pieces, sprinkle a handful of water and microwave it for one to two seconds. Capsicum need not be cooked.
You can also make this rice in microwave oven itself. First cook the vegetables in microwave as above. In another microwave proof vessel, put the oil (you can also use butter instead of oil) and add mustard, cinnamon, cloves and microwave it for half minute. Then add chopped onion and microwave it for few more seconds. Take out the vessel and add all the others ingredients including cooked rice and mix well. Microwave it for one to two seconds or according to your microwave power setting.
When you are doing it in a microwave, you can omit mustard, because sometimes if the mustard is over fried, it will give bitter taste.