- Rawa – 1 cup
- Green Gram Dhal (Payatham Paruppu) – 1/4 cup
- Coconut gratings – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 3 to 4 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper and Jeera – Crushed coarsely 1 teaspoon
- Red chillies – 2 to 3
- Fresh ginger – a small piece chopped finely
- Cashewnuts – few (Optional)
- Soak green gram dhal in water for about one hour.
- In a thick bottomed kadai, put the oil and when it is hot add mustard, urad dhal, bengal gram dhal, cashew nuts, pepper and jeera (coarsely powdered), red chillies (broken into two to three pieces) and chopped ginger and fry till the dhals become light brown. Then add rawa to the seasoning and fry just for few seconds or till you get a nice smell (Need not fry for a long time).
- Cool it. Add soaked dhal (drain the excess water), coconut gratings and salt. Mix well. Sprinkle water little by little and make a dough. Keep it closed for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Take a small lemon size dough and press it with your fingers and make kozhukattai. Arrange it in a idli plate and steam cook for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Serve with any desired chutney.