- Wholegram (Kondai kadalai) – 1 cup
- Red Chillies – 3 to 4
- Curry leaves – few
- Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafotida – a pinch
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Soak the gram in water for atleast 8 hours. Pressure cook along with a pinch of salt for two to three whistles. Drain the excess water and keep aside.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add red chillies broken into pieces along with asafotida powder and curry leaves. Fry for a while. Add cooked gram. Mix well. Add a pinch of salt and coconut gratings. Mix once again and remove.
- Note: There are two varieties of wholegram, white and black. The black coloured gram is tastier. You can add in the sundal few drops of lemon juice or a small piece of mango grated finely.