- Suji Toast (any brand) – 4 pieces
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder – a pinch
- Saffron – few strands
- Milk – 1 cup
- Mixed nuts – cashew, almond, pista chopped – 1 tablespoons
Shahi Tukda, also known as “Double Ka Meetha”, is a Hyderabadi dessert. Normally bread slices are deep fried in ghee or oil and soaked in flavoured milk, topped with cream and served with lots of dry fruits.
Instead of doing all the above, I tried it with store bought “Britannia Suji Toast” and left over jeera from the gulab jamun I prepared for Diwali. It is very easy to prepare and tastes good.
- Mix sugar and water and bring to boil. Allow to boil for five to ten minutes in a low flame. Remove and keep aside. (I used the left over jeera from the gulab jamun).
- Boil milk and reduce the heat and allow to boil for few more minutes. Add cardamom powder and saffron in the milk and stir well.
- Soak the suji toasts in the jeera for three to four minutes. Take it out and arrange it in a plate. Sprinkle the chopped nuts and pour the milk over it. Refrigerate for one to two hours and serve.
Looks yummy!!!!! And it sounds so easy. Great idea to use the suji toast and avoid all the oil/ghee as bread usually tends to soak alot of oil when fried.
Thank you for visiting. Yes, as you rightly said without oil or ghee, we can make this and it tastes good too.
mouth watering recepie….
Looks delicious. Nice recipe.
Thank you Swathi.
you are a wonderfull cook. great recipes
Thank you for your nice comments Uday.
what is this jeera
Jeera is the "Sugar syrup".
The dish came out really well. Thanx for the recipe. I made little improvements to it. I boiled the milk for little longer time and tosted the rusk with few drops of ghee. We had a good low fat dessert today. Thank you once again for the idea. It tasted like rasamalai (comments by my husband).
It is a good idea to toast it with ghee. Thank you for sharing this information.
I need to soak the toast in jeera while it is hot only na.
Not necessarily the jeera (sugar syrup) should be hot. You can soak it in warm or cold jeera too.
can we able to make this with semolina toast
Yes. We can make it. However, the taste will be slightly different.
Easy , tasty, recpie
Tasty , easy recpie
Easy and consumes less time