- Idli batter – 1 big bowl (To make 6 idli)
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Cashew Nuts – few
- Green chillies – 1 to 2
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Coriander leaves chopped – 4 to 5 tablespoons
- Salt – a pinch
- Put coriander leaves, ginger and green chilli with a pinch of salt in a mixie and coarsely grind it.
- Add this to the idli batter.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add the dhals, asafotida powder and fry till the dhals turn into light brown. Add this seasoning to the batter. Mix well and make idlies.