- Nellikkai (Gooseberry) – 10 Nos
- Green Chillies – 5 Nos
- Fresh Ginger – a small piece
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Vendhayam (Fenugreek) – 2 teaspoons
- Gingelly Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Boil 3 to 4 cups of water in a pan until it boils. Add the whole gooseberries along with little salt and turmeric powder. Allow to cook for five minutes. Then switch off the stove and close the vessel with lid. Let it stand for few more minutes.
- Then remove the gooseberries from the water. Take the gooseberry and gently press it on the top. The seed will come out and pods get separated. This is an easy method. If you cannot do this, then just remove the seed using knife and separate the gooseberry pods.
- Put it in a mixie jar and grind it along with green chillies, ginger and turneric powder to a coarse paste.
- In a dry kadai put the vendhayam (Fenugreek) and fry till it turn to light brown. Cool it and powder it.
- In a kadai put the oil. When it is hot add mustard. When it starts pop up add asafoetida powder. Now add the Gooseberry paste and mix well. Sprinkle Vendhaya (Fenugreek) podi and mix it once again. Remove and store it in a clean bowl.
This Nellikkai (Gooseberry) Thuvaiyal goes well with Curd Rice.