This Parangi Kai Chutney (Yellow Pumpkin Chutney) goes well with Ragi Adai/Dosai. This can also be eaten mixed with hot steamed rice along with a teaspoon of ghee/gingelly oil.
- Yellow Pumpkin (Parangi Kai) – 1 medium size piece
- Red Chillies – 5 to 7
- Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tablespoon
- Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 2 pinches
- Fenugreek (Vendhayam) – few seeds
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Wash the pumpkin piece. Remove the outer skin and seeds. Cut it into small pieces. Take 2 cups of pumpkin pieces.
- In a kadai put a teaspoon of oil. Add the pumpkin pieces and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and keep it aside.
- In the same kadai put one more teaspoon of oil and fry red chillies, bengal gram dal and Urad dal till it turn light brown.
- Put all the fried items (Pumpkin pieces, dals, red chillies) in a mixie jar and add salt. Grind it to a coarse paste.
- In a small tadka laddle put a teaspoon of oil. When it is hot add mustard. When it starts pop up add urad dal, fenugreek (vendhayam), asafoetida and curry leaves. Fry till urad dal become light brown.
- Pour this seasoning over the chutney and mix well.