Kara Boondhi KurmaCourse: GraviesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A dish made with kara boondhi and served with roti or chapathi.
Kara Boondhi – 1 cup
Potato – 2 Nos
Big onion (medium size) – 1 No
Tomato – 1
Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- To Grind
Coconut gratings – 2 tablespoon
Cashew nuts – 4 to 5 Nos
Puffed gram dhal (Pottu kadalai) – 1 teaspoon
Garlic cloves – 2 Nos
Fresh ginger – 1 “ piece
Green Chillies – 1 to 2 Nos
- For seasoning
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
Cardamom – 1
Cloves – 2
- Cook potato till soft and remove the skin. Cut it into medium size pieces.
- Chop onion and tomato finely.
- Grind Coconut gratings, Cashew nuts, puffed gram dhal, Garlic cloves, Fresh ginger, Green Chillies, together to a fine paste.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves and fennel seeds. When it is slightly fried, add chopped onion and fry till it turns transparent. Add tomato pieces along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and stir it. Fry till tomato mashed well. Now add potato pieces and mix well. Add the ground paste. Mix once again everything well and add enough water to cover the potato. Close with a lid and cook till it starts boiling. Allow to boil for few more seconds. Remove from stove, add kara boondhi and stir well.
- Can be served with any mild pulao / Indian bread.