- Green Gram Dhal – ½ cup
- Tomato – 2 Nos (medium size)
- Onion – 1 No
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon stick – a small piece
- Cloves – 2 Nos
- Whole cardamom – 1 No
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chillies – 2 (for garnishing)
Cook the green gram dhal along with a pinch of turmeric powder till soft.
Chop onion finely. Cut the tomatoes into medium size pieces and grind along with ginger to a fine puree.
In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom. Add chopped onion and fry till it is transparent. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well. Add tomato puree, stir well and close with lid. Allow to boil. When it starts boiling, add the cooked dhal and stir well. Cook on low flame till everything blends well. Remove to another bowl.
Slit the green chillies lengthwise and fry in a teaspoon oil along with curry leaves and pour over the dhal.