Ingredients for pakoda
- Bengal gram dal –1 cup
- Onions-chopped – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies – 3 Nos
- Sombu (Fennel seeds) – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for gravy (kurma)
- Onion – 2 Nos
- Tomato – 1 No
- Green chillis – 4 nos
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Garlic flakes – 4 to 5
- Garam masala powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Coconut gratings – ½ cup
- Sombu (Fennel seeds) -1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak bengal gram dhal for atleast two hours. Grind along with green chillies, garlic, sombu and salt to a coarse paste. Add chopped onions and mix well. Heat oil in a kadai and when it is hot, drop handful of dhal paste loosely like pakoda. Fry till it turns golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- For kurma – Fry one onion cut into small pieces and green chillies in little oil. Mix coconut, sombu, ginger, garlic and fried onion and green chillies and make a fine paste. In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add chopped onions and fry till it turns transparent. Now add tomato chopped finely. Mix well. Add red chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt. Stir well and then add the ground coconut-onion paste and fry well Add one cup water. Cover with lid and cook for 5 to ten minutes. Remove from stove and add the fried pakodas.
- Serve with roti or fried rice.
Pakoda can be prepared with besan flour also. Just mix a cup of besan flour, one tablespoon rice flour, pinch of chilli powder and salt with little water. Drop this mixture little by little in the hot oil and fry till it becomes golden brown. Then add this pakoda to the kurma.