- Green Gram Dhal – ½ cup
- Tomato – 2
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Onion chopped – 2 tableslpoons
- Green Chillies split lenthwise – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
“Tomato Dhal” is an Andhra spcial and it is prepared with Thuvar dhal and tomato cooked together. I tried it with Green Gram dhal and tomato puree. Taste is good and goes well with rice and chapati.
- Put green gram dhal along with a pinch of turmeric powder in a thick bottomed vessel and add two cups of water and a teaspoon of oil and cook till soft.
- Put whole tomatos in boiling water for five minutes and remove. Allow to cool. Peel the skin and put it in a mixie and make a fine puree.
- In a kadai put oil and when it is hot, add mustard. When it pops up, add jeera and fry for a while. Then add chopped onion, green chillies and few curry leaves. Fry till the onion become transparent. Add tomato puree along with red chilli powder and coriander powder. Stir well and add the cooked dhal and half teaspoon salt. Mix well. Allow to boil for few seconds and remove.