- kovakkai – 8 to 10 Nos
- Onion – 1 No
- Tomato – 1 No
- Sambar Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 4 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bengal Gram Dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Peanut – 2 to 3 tablespoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Wash and cut the kovakkai into lengthwise pieces. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Chop onion and tomato finely.
- In a kadai put the oil and add mustard. When it pops up, add bengal gram dhal, urad dhal, jeera, asafotida powder and curry leaves. Fry till the dhals turn light brown. Then add chopped onion and fry till it is transparent. Add tomato pieces and fry for two to three seconds. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder, peanut and salt. Mix well. Now take the marinated kovakkai and squeeze out and add to the seasoning. Add 1/2 cup water and close with lid. Cook on medium flame. Stir now and then and keep it on stove till the vegetables are soft and absorbs all the water.
- Goes well with rice as well as chapati.