- Green Gram – 1 cup
- Green Chilli – 1 or 2
- Fresh Ginger – a small piece
- Onion chopped – two to three tablespoons
- Asafetida Powder – two pinches
- Salt – ½ teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak green gram for about 5 to 6 hours. Wash well and drain the excess water. Grind it along with green chilli, ginger (chop and add) and salt to a coarse paste. No need to add any water. Remove and add asafetida powder and chopped onion. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Keep the stove in medium heat. Take a small lemon size dough and flatten it slightly. Put it in the hot oil and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Serve with any chutney or with Tomato Ketchup.
- Note: If you want more spicy vadai, then add two pinches of red chilli powder or one teaspoon of black pepper and cumin (coarsely powdered) in the dough.