- Karamani (Cow Gram) – 1 cup
- Red Chillies – 2
- Green Chilli – 1
- Sombu (Aniseeds) – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Ginger – a small piece
- Big Onion – 1
- Curry Leaves – few
- Coconut gratings – 2 to 3 tablespoons (Optional)
- Asafetida Powder – two pinches
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak Karamani (Cow Gram) for about 4 to 5 hours. Wash well and drain the excess water. Put it in a mixie. Add red chilli, sombu (aniseeds) and salt. Grind it to a coarse paste. No need to add any water.
- Add asafoetida powder, chopped onion, green chillies, ginger, coconut gratings and curry leaves. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Keep the stove in medium heat. Take a small lemon size dough and flatten it slightly. Put it in the hot oil and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Serve with coconut chutney or have it plain with hot tea.