This is a common snack commonly served with evening tea or for breakfast with idli, pongal or dosa.
- Urad dhal – 1 cup
- Green chilli – 2 (Chopped into small pieces)
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Fresh coriander leaves – few
- Salt – half teaspoon
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak urad dhal in water for one to two hours. Wash well and grind to a soft paste along with salt and ginger. The dough should float on water. This is the right consistency. Remove and add the chopped chillies, coriander leaves and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Take a lemon size ball and slightly flaten it and make a hole in the centre. Drop gently in the hot oil and deep fry till it becomes golden brown. Make sure the oil is in medium heat and not to be smoking hot.
- Note: You can also add one onion chopped finely to the batter.