- Urad dhal – 1 cup
- Green chilli – 2
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Fresh coriander leaves – few
- Curry leaves – few
- Coconut cut into tiny pieces – 2 tablespoons
- Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Jeeragam (Cumin) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – half teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak urad dhal in water for two to three hours. Wash well and grind it to a soft paste using very little water. If you take little dough and put it in water, it should float on top of the water. This is the right consistency.
- Chop ginger, chillies, coriander leaves and curry leaves and add it to the dough. Add pepper, jeera, coconut pieces and salt also. Mix everything well.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Take a lemon size dough and shape it like a ball. Drop gently in the hot oil and deep fry till it becomes golden brown. Make sure the oil is in medium heat and not to be smoking hot.
- Serve with plain coconut chutney.