“Kummayam” also known as “Aadi Kummayam” is a sweet dish prepared with different combination of lentils and jaggery and offered to God as Prasadam on “Aadi Velli” or “Aadi Sevvai”.
- Green Gram Dhal – 1 cup
- Urad Dhal – 2 tablespoons
- Rice – 4 tablespoons
- Jaggery powdered – 2 cups
- Ghee – 1/4 cup
- Water – 6 cups
- Dry roast green gram dhal, urad dhal and rice separately till it become light brown. Cool it and powder it in a mixie. Sieve it. For the mentioned quantity, you will get 2 cups of powder, known as “Kummayam Powder”.
- In a kadai put half of the ghee and add the Kummayam Powder and fry for few minutes.
- In another vessel put the jaggery and add water. Bring to boil. When it starts boiling, remove and strain it.
- Add the jaggery water to the fried kummayam powder and stir well. Stir continuously till it become thick. Add the remaining ghee and again mix it well. Cook till it leaves the sides of the vessel.
- Remove and transfer it to a greased tray.
- You can serve hot or cold. You can also cut it into squares and serve.