- Brinjal (medium size) – 4 Nos
- Tomato (medium size) – 2 nos
- Big Onion – 1 No chopped finely
- Green chillies – 4 Nos chopped finely
- Asafotida powder – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Cut the brinjals into big pieces and boil it in water for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the water and cool it. Put it in a mixie and grind it coarsely.
- Chop onion, green chillies and tomato finely.
- In a kadai, add the oil and when it is hot, add the mustard. When the mustard pops up, add urad dhal and asafetida. Fry till the dhal becomes golden brown.
- Add chopped onion, green chillies, curry leaves and fry till the onions turn transparent.
- Add tomato and fry till it mashes well.
- Now, add the brinjal paste, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Add little water and make the mixture liquid.
- Cover with a lid and allow to boil. Remove it from stove.
This tomato brinjal chutney can be served with idli or dosa.