- Karamani (Cow gram) – 1 cup
- Tamarind – Gooseberry size size
- Tomato – 1 big
- Onion – 1
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Sambar Powder – 1 heaped teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick – 2 small
- Sombu (aniseeds) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chillies – 2
- Oil – 2 tablesp
- In a kadai put one teaspoon oil and when it is hot add karamani and fry till it turns light brown. Put it in a pressure cooker, add two cups of water and cook for three to four whistles. Do not overcook.
- Grind tamarind and Tomato into a fine paste. Chop onion finely.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add cinnamon sticks, red chillies and aniseeds. Then add chopped onion and fry well. When onion turns transparent, add ground tomato paste along with sambar powder, turmeric and salt and mix well. Add the cooked gram and little water and allow to boil. When it is semi solid remove from stove.
- Can be taken with chapati or fried rice.