- 1 big piece yellow pumpkin (tender pumpkin tastes good)
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Sambar powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut gratings – 1/4 cup
- Red or Green Chilli – 1 or 2
- Cumin (Jeeragam) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafetida Powder – a pinch
- Sambar onion chopped finely – 1 tablespoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Remove the skin and seeds from the pumpkin. Cut it into bite size pieces. Put the pieces in a vessel and add turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt and enough water to cover the vegetable. Cook on medium flame till the vegetable is soft.
- Grind coconut, chillies and cumin (jeeragam) to a coarse paste and add to the vegetable. Mix well and allow to boil for few seconds.
- Then season it with mustard, asafetida, onion and curry leaves.
- Serve as a side dish or mix it with hot rice and eat.