- One or two or more mixed vegetables cut into small size pieces – 1 cup
- Green Gram Dal – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Sambar Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/4 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin (jeeragam) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Put the cut vegetables, green gram dal and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker. Add enough water to cover the vegetables. Pressure cook for two to three whistles.
- After few minutes, remove the lid from the cooker and slightly mash the vegetables.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up add urad dhal, cumin, asafotida powder, curry leaves and fry for a second. In this seasoning itself, add sambar powder and just fry for a second. Now add the cooked vegetable and mix it well. Finally add salt and once again stir well and remove.
- Note: Adding sambar powder in the seasoning will give nice flavour to the kootu. (But ensure not to burn the powder). You can use any type of available vegetables. I used broad beans, one small potato with skin and one small brinjal in this Kootu.