- Beans – 100 gm
- Green Gram (Pachai Payaru) – 1/2 cup
- Sambar Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Urad Dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Coconut Gratings – 2 tablespoons
- Curry leaves – few
- In a dry kadai put the Green Gram and fry till its colour changes to light brown. Soak it for six to eight hours (or overnight). Wash well and add just enough water to cover it and a pinch of salt. Pressure cook it for two to three whistles.
- Chop beans to 1″ pieces lengthwise.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up add urad dhal, asafetida powder and curry leaves and fry till the urad dhal become light brown. Then add beans pieces along with turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt and sprinkle two to three handful of water and stir well. Cover with a lid and cook on medium flame till beans are soft.
- Take out the cooked green gram from the pressure cooker and drain out the excess water. Add the cooked gram to beans and mix well. Finally add coconut gratings and stir once again.
- Note: You can use Green Gram without frying also. Just soak the green gram and prepare this recipe as above.