- Tamarind – a small lemon size
- Onion – 1 big
- Red Chillies – 3 to 4
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the juice and make three cups of tamarind juice by adding required water. Chop the onion.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, reduce the heat and add fenugreek and fry just a second and add red chillies broken into pieces and chopped onion along with curry leaves. Fry till the onion turns transperant. Add tamarind juice and salt. Mix well and bring to boil. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat and allow to boil in medium flame two to three minutes.
- Serve with hot rice. It looks like rasam but tastes like puliyodharai.