- Raw Rice – 2 cups
- Green Gram Dhal (Moong dhal) – 1/2 cup
- White til seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak rice for one to two hours. Wash well and drain the water. Allow to dry in a shade for half-an-hour. Put it in a mixie and grind it to a fine powder and sieve it. OR you can use store bought rice flour too.
- Put green gram dhal (Moong dhal) in a vessel and add two to three cups of water. Cook till it is very soft. Allow to cool.
- Add rice flour to the cooked dhal along with til seeds, asafoetida powder and salt. Knead it well. If necessary sprinkle little water and make a soft dough.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. Take small quantity of dough and put it in the Murukku Press with “single star” plate and squeeze it in circular motion directly to the hot oil. Fry till it becomes crispy and nice golden yellow.