- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Kalkandu (Sugar Candy) – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Ghee – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Raisins – few
- Cashewnuts – few
- In a pressure cooker add the rice, milk and water. Then pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Remove the pressure cooker from the oven and let it cool. Once it has cooled down, remove the lid from the cooker and mash the cooked rice. Add kalkandu and cook it in low flame. (You can add the kalkandu as it is if it is small size, if it is bigger size, then powder it and add). Keep the flame on and stir and cook until the kalkandu blends well with the rice. Add a tablespoon of ghee and mix well.
- Fry cashew nuts and raisins in a tablespoon of ghee and add it to the pongal. Finally add the cardamom powder and mix it well and remove.
- Note: If you want less sweet, then reduce the quantity of Kalkandu to 3/4 cup.