- Raw Rice – 1 ½ cup
- Boiled Rice – 1 ½ cup
- Urad dhal – ¼ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Aval (Poha) or cooked rice – a handful
- Cooking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Coconut Milk – ¼ cup
- Soak raw rice, boiled rice, urad dhal, fenugreek seeds, in water for about 6 hours. Grind all the above along witn cooked rice (if you are using poha, then soak it separately for one hour and add) in the grinder to very fine paste. Add salt and mix well. Allow to ferment for atleast 10 hours or over night.
- Next day, add cooking soda and ¼ cup coconut milk to the batter and mix well. Add little water to make the batter little thin.
- Heat the appam pan and with little oil, pour one big spoon of batter in the center of the hot pan.
- Lift the pan and tilt in a circular motion so that the batter spreads and expands along the edges. Center should be slightly thicker than sides.
- Close the pan with lid and cook in the medium heat. Cook on one side only.
- Serve with Coconut Milk and Potato Stew