- Oats – 2 cups
- Corn Meal – 4 tablespoons (Please see the note below)
- Red Chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chillies – 2 to 3
- Asafotida powder – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Onion chopped finely – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Oil – 4 to 5 teaspoons
- In a dry kadai put the oats and fry till hot to touch. Cool it and powder it coarsely. Add corn meal, red chilli powder, asafotida powder, turmeric, red chillies broken into tiny bits, salt along with onion and curry leaves chopped finely. Mix thoroughly. Sprinkle water little by little and make a dough. Make orange size balls. For the above quantity, you can get approx 6 balls.
- Heat tawa and grease it. In a plastic sheet, keep one ball and pat with your fingers and spread it round. Gently peel it from the sheet and put it in the tawa and pour little oil around it. Cook both sides.
- Corn Meal is the ground corn / maize. It is readily available in stores. If you do not have it, use the yellow corns. You can powder the corn or soak it and grind it to a coarse paste.