- Moong (Green Gram) – 1 cup
- Bengal Gram Dal (Kadalai Paruppu) – 1/2 cup
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin (Jeeragam) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak Moong and Bengal Gram Dal in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Wash the soaked dals well and add 2 to 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Mash the cooked dal.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add cumin, asafoetida powder, green chillies (slit it into two) and curry leaves.
- Add the mashed dal. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well. If necessary add little water and make it semi liquid.
- Allow to boil for few minutes and remove.
This dal is very simple one and without any onion/tomato or any other spices.