Mor KuzhambuCourse: KuzhambuCuisine: Indian, TamilDifficulty: Easy
Buttermilk – 2 cups
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Green chillies – 2
Jeera (Cumin seeds) – ½ teaspoon
Thuvar dhal – 1 teaspoon
Raw Rice – ½ teaspoon
Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
Grated coconut – 2 tablespoon
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – half teaspoon
Few curry leaves and one red chilly
- Soak Thuvar dhal, coriander seeds, raw rice and jeera (Cumin seeds) in water for 10 to 15 minutes. Grind alongwith coconut and green chillies to a fine paste. Churn the buttermilk and add the paste, turmeric powder and salt. Bring to boil. When it starts boiling, immediately switch off the stove. Season it with mustard, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Tips: You can add vegetables to the mor kuzhambu. The best suitable vegetable for mor kuzhambu is Ashgourd (white pumpkin known as Poosanikai in Tamil). Another vegetable is ladies finger. Vadai mor kuzhambu is also another treat. Some people even use brinjal, cucumber, drum stick, potato, manathakali vatral, sundaikkai vatral.
- If you are using ashgourd, first you have to cook the vegetable pieces (you have to remove the skin, seeds and the white inner portion and cut it into medium size pieces) with little water, salt and turmeric powder till soft. Drain the excess water. Then add to the buttermilk mixture and bring to boil.
- If you are using ladies finger, cut the vegetable into 2 inch pieces and fry it in a teaspoon of oil till it changes its colour and add to the kuzhambu and bring to boil.
- If you use potato, boil the potato and remove the skin, cut it into medium size pieces and add.
- Vathal or brinjal can be fried in a teaspoon of oil and then add to the kuzhambu.
- In all cases, you have to add in the first stage itself, i.e. when you add coconut chilli paste to the buttermilk, add the cooked or fried vegetable and then bring it to boil.
- If you prepare Vadai Mor Kuzhambu, then prepare the kuzhambu, remove from stove and add the vadai.
- Thoothuvalai keerai, a herb, is also added in the mor kuzhambu. This keerai is found in the home gardens in Tamilnadu. It is good for heart health. When the kuzhambu starts boiling, few leaves can be added, like garnishing with coriander leaves.