- Quick Cooking Oats – 1 cup
- Sour curd – 1/2 cup
- Gingili oil – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Bengal gram dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds (Jeeragam) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – A small pinch
- Mor Milagai (Curd chillies) – 2 or 3
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
“Mor Kazhi” also known as “Mor Koozh” is a typical South Indian Snack item prepared with rice flour and buttermilk. Instead of “rice flour”, I used “Oats” and prepared this dish.
- Put the oats in a mixie and grind it to a fine power.
- Beat the curd well and add it to the oats powder along with asafotida and salt. Mix well. Add enough water and make a thin batter (slightly thinner than dosa batter).
- Preferably in a non stick kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard seeds. When it pops up, break “Mor Milagai” (curd chillies) into two or three pieces and add along with cumin seeds, bengal gram dhal and urad dhal. Fry till the dhals turn slightly brown. Keep the stove in medium flame. Now pour the oats batter and stir continuously till it leaves the sides of the kadai and look like a thick dough. It will take five to ten minutes for this.
- Tranfer to a greased plate and level it. When it is slightly cooled down, cut it into squares and serve with fried “Mor Milagai” or with “Thengai Thuvaiyal”.
- Note:If you do not have the Curd Chillies (Mor Milagai), you can use ordinary red chillies.
- You can also make this in “Microwave Oven”. Prepare seasoning and add it to the batter and microwave it for five to seven minutes. Ensure to take it out every one minute from the oven and give a nice stir and then put it back to oven.
- A healthy snack can be taken as breakfast, evening snack or at the dinner time too.