This kuzhambu goes well with the “Ven Pongal” prepared on Pongal Day. Can also be served with hot steamed rice.
- Yellow Pumpkin (Parangi Kai) – 1 small piece
- White Pumpkin (Pooshani Kai) – 1 small piece
- Sweet Potato – 1
- Green Banana – 1
- Broadbeans – 5 to 6
- Tomato – 1
- Tamarind – a small lemon size
- Sambar Podi – 1 teaspoon
- Kootu Podi – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablesppon
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 2
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Coconut gratings – 1 tablespoon
- Salt 2 teaspoons or as per taste
- Remove the skin from yellow pumpkin, white pumpkin and banana. Cut it into medium size pieces. Cut the broad beans into 2 to 3 pieces. Cut the sweet potato and tomato into medium size pieces.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice.
- In a vessel put the cut vegetables and add enough water to cover the vegetables. Add salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt. Cook it till the vegetables are soft.
- Add tamarind water and allow to boil till its raw smell goes.
- Mix Kootu Podi in little water and add to the kuzhambu.
- In a tadka pan put the oil. When it is hot add mustard. When it starts pop up add urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves, coconut gratings. Fry till coconut turns golden brown. Add asafoetida and pour this seasoning over the kuzhambu.
- Mix well and remove.