- Idli batter – 1 big bowl
- Maida or rava – 2 tablespoons
- Cooking soda – a pinch
- Onion – 1
- Green chillies – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafotida Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – for deep frying
Kunukku is traditionally prepared by soaking dhals and rice and grinding with chillies and salt. This batter is deep fried like bonda. But for a quick version, we can make it with left over idli batter also. Here is the recipe:
- Chop onion and green chillies finely.
- Add maida or rave to the idli batter and mix well. If necessary add little water to make the batter flow easily from a spoon when poured. Add a pinch of salt along with cooking soda and chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves to the batter.
- In a kadai put a teaspoon oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up add asafotida powder and pour over the batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai and take a small laddle of batter and pour it in the hot oil. Fry till it turns light brown.
- Serve with chutney.