- Rice flour – 1 Cup
- Jaggery powdered – ½ to ¾ cup
- Fully riped banana – 1 No
- Coconut cut into small pieces – 1 or 2 tablespoons
- Cardamom Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Oil for deep frying
- Add half cup water to jaggery and mix it well till it dissolved in water. Strain it.
- Mash the banana into fine paste and add it to the rice flour. Add coconut pieces and cardamom powder also in the rice flour and mix well. Add jaggery water and stir well and make a thick batter (like thick idli batter). If necessary add little water to get correct batter consistency.
- In a kadai pour the oil and when it is hot, reduce the heat. Take a tablespoon of batter and pour it in the hot oil. Fry till it become golden brown and remove.
- Tips: You can make Appam with Maida or wheat flour or Rawa also. Instead of jaggery, you can use sugar to get a white Appam. Instead of deep frying, you can use “Paniyaram Chatti” and make this appam like Kuzhi Paniyaram.
- Traditionally the batter is prepared by soaking the rice with little urad dhal and grinding along with jaggery and coconut. It is a special dish for Karthigai Festival.