- Ragi Flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup or as per taste
- Fresh coconut gratings – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ghee – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Salt – One or two pinches
- Put Ragi flour in a big bowl and add salt. Sprinkle little water and mix well. If you hold the flour in your palm and press, it should be like a ball and put it back, it should fall loosely. This is the correct texture for making puttu.
- Take a clean wet cloth, put the ragi flour on it and make a loose bundle. Keep this bundle on the idli plate and steam cook it for ten minutes. Remove the bundle and transfer the cooked flour to another bowl. Allow to cool. Then add ghee (melt it and add) sugar, cardamom powder and coconut gratings. Mix well and serve.
- Note: Instead of sugar, we can add jaggery powder also.