- Fresh coconut gratings – 1 cup
- Pottu Kadalai (Fried Gram) – 2 tablespoons
- Sambar Onion – 3 to 4 Nos
- Garlic flakes (small size) – 2
- Fresh ginger – a small piece
- Green Chillies – 2
- Red Chillies – 2
- Tamarind – a Gooseberry size
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
“Kadambam” means mixture. This Kadamba Chutney can be prepared with different combinations using ingredients like tomato, onion, garlic, ginger, coriander leaves, curry leaves, mint leaves, coconut, dhals etc. Basic ingredients for the chutney are Chillies, tamarind and salt (உப்பு, புளி, மிளகாய்). To this we can add more suitable ingredients and make Kadamba (mixture of different ingredients) chutney.
My version of “Kadamba Chutney” is as follows:
Peel the skin from sambar onion and garlic. Scrap the skin from the ginger. Put all the ingredients in a mixie and grind it to a fine paste adding little water.
Season it with mustard, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
Goes well with Idli/Dosai.