This Pachai Payaru Kuzhambu is usually served with hot rice.
- Green Gram (Pachai Payaru) – ½ cup
- Tamarind – A big gooseberry size
- Sambar Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Tomato – 1
- Sambar Onion – 10 to 15
- Garlic flakes – 2 to 3 (small size)
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak green gram in water for about 5 to 6 hours or over night. Wash well and put it in a pressure cooker. Add one cup water along with a pinch of salt and cook for two to three whistles.
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the juice and make two cups of tamarind juice by adding enough water.
- Chop onion, garlic and tomato into small pieces.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up, add fenugreek, asafoetida and slightly fry. Then add chopped onion, garlic flakes and curry leaves. Fry for few seconds.
- Add tomato pieces and fry till it mashed well. Then add tamarind water along with sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Stir well.
- Allow to boil. When it starts boiling add the cooked green gram slightly mashed and again allow to boil for few more minutes.