- Red Chillies – 15 Nos
- Coriander Seeds (Daniya) – 3 tablespoons
- Thuvar Dal – 1 tablespoon
- Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tablespoon
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tablespoon
- Black Pepper – 1 Teaspoon
- Jeeragam (Cumin) – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1 Teaspoon
- Vendhayam (Fenugreek Seeds) – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Fry the above ingredients one by one in a teaspoon of oil except Turmeric Powder.
- Cool it and grind it along with turmeric powder to a coarse powder.
- Store it in an air tight container.
This podi (powder) gives a nice flavour and texture to Kootu. You can sprinkle little podi to your regular kootu before removing from stove. Or just boil desired vegetables with little sambar podi and salt. Add little tamarind water and boil. Finally sprinkle 2 to 3 teaspoons of this Kootu Podi and mix well. Kootu is ready.