- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Urad dhal – 1/4 cup
- Garlic flakes – 10 to 15 nos.
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Canola Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin (Jeeragam) – 1 teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts – few
- Curry Leaves – few
- Coconut Gratings – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
Ulundu (Black Gram) rice is normally prepared with parboiled (Puzhungal Arisi) Rice and whole black gram (Karuppu Ulundu) with skin. Garlic, cumin, coconut, fenugreek seeds are added to the rice and dhal and cooked. Gingelly oil is added to the cooked rice and served with Thuvaiyal.
I slightly modified this traditional dish and made with raw rice and white Urad dhal. Instead of Gingelly oil, I used “Hudson Canola Oil” which I got it as a free sample.
- In a kadai add the rice and fry for few seconds or until hot to touch. Same way fry Ulundu (Black gram) also for few seconds (hot to touch).
- In a pressure cooker put the fried rice, black gram, garlic flakes, fenugreek seeds and salt. Add 2 and half cups of water. Close with a lid and cook for 3 to 4 whistles. Allow to cool.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add cumin (jeeragam), asafoetida powder, cashew nuts and curry leaves. Fry for just a second. Then add coconut gratings and fry that too for few seconds. Then add cooked rice and gently mix it and remove.
- Serve with any desired Thuvaiyal. Goes well with papad also. I served it with Cucumber Kootu and papad.