Stuffed Brinjal CurryCourse: PoriyalCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
This poriyal goes well with any rice dishes and also with Chapati.
Brinjal (small size) – 5 to 6
Tamarind – Big gooseberry size
Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- To fry and grind
Til (Sesame) seeds – 3 teaspoons
Peanut roasted – 2 teaspoons
- For stuffing
Any Curry Powder – 4 to 5 teaspoons
- For seasoning
Oil – 3 tablespoons
Mustard – ½ teaspoon
Jeeragam (Cumin) – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – few
Asafoetida Powder – ¼ teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak tamarind in little water and take out thick juice.
- In a dry kadai put the til (sesame seeds) and dry fry till it starts crackling. Remove and cool it. Then grind it along with peanuts to a fine powder.
- Wash and slit the brinjals into four keeping the top portion in tact.
- For stuffing you can use any spice powder like Curry Powder, Curry Leaves Powder, Idli chilli powder, etc.
- have used Curry Leaves Powder.
- Stuff a teaspoon of Curry Leaves Powder. or any other spice powder, in each brinjal and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed kadai put the oil and heat it. Add mustard and when it starts pop up, add asafetida powder, cumin (Jeeragam) and curry leaves.
- Then add the stuffed brinjals and gently mix it with the oil. Cover it with a lid and allow to cook on low flame till it is half cooked.
- Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add tamarind juice and little water and again allow to cook for few minutes.
- Now add the til/peanut powder.
- Mix everything well and allow to fry for few more minutes or till it becomes dry.