- 4 cups raw rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- salt – to taste (two teaspoon)
- oil for deep frying
- Wash rice and spread it on a clean cloth and dry in the shade. In a dry kadai put the urad dhal and fry slightly. Cool it. Mix both rice and dhal and send it to Mill for grinding it to a fine powder.
- Sieve it. Add cumin seeds, asafetida powder, salt and butter to the flour and mix by hand thoroughly. Now add water little by little and make a dough. Take small quantity of dough and put it in the Thenkuzhal Press (Murukku Acthu) with three small holes and press it in small circular motion directly to the hot oil. Fry till it becomes crispy and nice golden yellow. But ensure not to brown. Take out from oil and store it in a airtight container.
- Tips: If you cannot find a Mill near to your place, you can use rice flour and urad dhal flour in the ratio 4:1/2. In that case, fry the urad dhal in a dry kadai and powder it in a mixie. Sieve it and add it to the rice flour.
- You can also add a handful of chutney dhal powdered finely.