- Maida – 2 cups
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons
- Cooking Soda – 2 pinches
- Salt – 2 pinches
- Sugar – 1 cup
- For Stuffing:
- Khoya – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cashewnuts – few
- Raisins – few
- Cardamom Powdered – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – for deep frying
This is a Three-in-one Sweet. With the same dough and stuffing, we can prepare three sweets viz Surya Kala, Chandra Kala and Lavanga Latika. Only difference is the folding of the outer dough.
- Mix maida, ghee, cooking soda and salt. Add water little by little and make a soft dough. Cover and keep it aside.
- In a bowl put the khoya and add sugar. Mix it well. In a teaspoon of ghee fry cashewnuts and raisins. Add it to the khoya. Add cardamom powder and mix everything well. This is the stuffing.
- Surya Kala:
- Take a big gooseberry size dough and roll it like a puri. Make one more puri of same size. In one puri, put one teaspoon stuffing in the center and cover it with another puri. Dip your fingers in water and seal the edges. Hold it one one hand and start twist the corners. Finish all the dough like this.
- Heat oil in kadai and put 3 to 4 suryakalas at a time and fry till it become light golden colour.
- In another kadai put the sugar and add two cups of water and bring to boil. Cook till it attains two string consistency. Switch off the stove. Put 3 to 4 fried suryakalas in the syrup and allow to soak for few seconds. Remove and and keep it in a plate. Again put few more suryakalas and dip it in the sugar syrup. Finish all the suryakalas like this. Allow to cool and store it.
- Chandra Kala
- Method is same as above. But here, make one small puri and keep a teaspoon of stuffing in one side and fold it like a semi circle. Seal it with your wet fingers and twist the corners from one corner to another.
- Lavanga Latika:
- Here, make one puri and place a teaspoon of the stuffing the center. Bring one corner to the center and cover the stuffing. Then bring another corner to center. Then bring the remaining to corners and fold it like a square. Seal it with wet fingers. Insert a clove (Lavangam) in the center. Frying and soaking in the syrup is same as above method.