- Red Aval (Poha) – 2 cups
- Coconut Gratings – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bengal Gram Dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Urad Dhal – 1 tablespoon
- Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
- Green Chillies – 2
- Curry Leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Wash the poha and soak it in water for about half-an-hour. Drain the excess water if any. Put the soaked poha in a vessel and add salt. Knead it well.
- In a small kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it starts crackling add bengal gram dhal, urad dhal and asafotida powder and fry till the dhals turn light brown. Add chopped green chillies and curry leaves to the seasoning and fry for a while. Add this to the kneaded poha. Add coconut gratings also and once again knead everything well.
- Take a lemon size dough and make oval shape kozhukattai. Arrange it in a greased idli plate and steam cook it for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with any chutney. Idli Milagai Podi will also go well with this.