This is low fat healthy Sarkarai Pongal without ghee. This can also be prepared with wheat rawa or millet instead of rice. Check out the recipe for regular Sarkarai Pongal.
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Green Gram Dal (Pasi Paruppu) – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery powdered – 2 cups
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Raisin – 2 tablespoons
- Almond – few (optional)
- Olive Oil – 1 or 2 teaspoons (optional)
- In a kadai put the green gram dal and dry fry till it become light brown.
- Put both rice and fried dal in a pressure cooker and add 3 and 3/4 cups of water and cook for 6 whistles.
- Add little water to the jaggery and bring to boil. When it starts boiling remove and strain it.
- Open the cooker and slightly mash the cooked rice and dal.
- Add jaggery water to the mashed rice and mix it well. Put it on the stove and cook on low flame stirring continuously till it blends well.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add almond and raisins fried in a teaspoon of olive oil. (You can add without frying also).
- Add one or two teaspoons of olive oil and mix well and remove.